Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year - Shock and Awe!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!



While the end of 2008 proved to be quite low key for us, the beginning of 2009 went in with a bang (LITERALLY!!!!!) Having the kids home all week is quite exhausting - fun, but exhausting and with that said our family went to bed around 10:00. How boring are we!!! It was our intention to call our friends and family to wish them a Happy New Year (being that it would have only been 6:00pm back home) - well that idea went away when we realized how tired we were! A few minutes after midnight, we were awakened to absolute shock!!! We knew that New Years Eve was the one day in Germany that Fireworks were legal. Our friend told us that they are shot off all over the town, but we had no idea what to expect. There are no formal fireworks displays - it is all individuals all over the city and it brings the phrase "shock and awe" to a entirely new level! We were awakened to the fireworks a few minutes after midnight and then ran upstairs to look out the window. By the time I thought to grab the video camera, it was probably 12:15 or so (you can imagine how much more intensive the video would have been had it been shot right at midnight). If you listen carefully you can hear all of the noise in the background - and remember there were no formal fireworks - this was individuals!!! All I have to say is Unbelieveable!!!! Happy New Year to ALL!!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad I made it one more year. I did not hear a thing around here; however, that doesn't mean too much.

It sounded more like a war zone in your neck of the woods. I don't think I would have slept through that.

It will be a quiet day here. I think everyone wants to watch football, and that is ok with me. My friend woke me up at 6:30 this morning and wanted to bring me turnip greens, peas and shrimp chowder plus some cracklin bread. She stayed up all night. I really think she is adhd. ha........ Sweet lady but very unlike me. She never sleeps.

Wishing you all the best ever in 2009. Stay healthy and happy. Love and Prayers, gp

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! How cool is this?? Harrison will be so jealous when he sees it - our fireworks were kind of "duds" this time - even JayBob admitted that he didn't choose as well as usual. Maya, Jamie and Andrew joined us in the culdesac for a few FROZEN minutes to watch. Maya didn't like the sound, so Andrew told her they were "dinosaur" fireworks and that seemed to make her happy.

It is all of a sudden freezing here again. It seems the weatherman can't make up his mind. It was 80 degrees a few days ago, and 25 degrees when we got up this morning - quite a difference in a couple of days.

We missed you all last night - as always!! Calye took a few pictures, so I'll post them later for you to see.
HUGS AND KISSES BY THE BUNCHES,
ChristiBob