With a hop, skip, and a jump (O.K. really a 7 1/2 hour drive) we made it to Paris! The first thing that amazed us about the trip is how you can drive 4 hours and be in a country that speaks a totally different language, has totally different road signs, laws, government etc. It would be like Florida having it's own everything! The second thing we noticed is speed limits! We have gotten so spoiled with the Autobahn. There are speed limits on the Autobahn, but for the most part you are able to drive at the speed that you want to - it makes it a lot less stressful than always having to watch the spedometer and crossing your fingers that you don't get pulled over in a foreign country! Speaking of being pulled over.... Within the first few miles of France, we went through a toll booth and sure enough, as we are about to pull away, we were flagged down to pull over to the side (I guess the big American Mini Van was a dead giveaway). Anyway... I have been the translator for the family in German and I gave Bryan the heads up that he would be the translator in France. The French Police wanted to see our passports. Everything was O.K. and when I start pulling away, I say "Bonjour" (forgetting that it means hello and not goodbye) Bryan nudges me and I quickly correct myself and say "Auvoir" - the Police laugh histarically! I guess French is not in my future. We got here and I ran out to get some groceries and it was like Tyson's corner Mall (or Lenox Mall) at Christmas! Oh My Gosh! We ended up with French Bread, French Fries, Wine, Cheese and French Bread Pizza for Dinner (When in France.... :-) The kids are thrilled because they have the cartoon network in English here (We have had no television hookup since we left the States in July). Tomorrow we will venture downtown (we are staying at Disney Paris, so we aren't right in the city). It is quite exciting and fun, although Camden is still mad that we had to go to Paris for a week, and had to miss his friends Birthday Party (he has such a rough life!) :-) * The pictures of the kids in the pool - the water had just been changed so it was FREEZING, but nevertheless they swam!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hang in there Camden - I bet you'll enjoy Disney Paris just as much or more than a birthday party. We'll be anxious to see if Mickey speaks French!!!
Poor Camden......... Tell him that I can relate to his frustration very well; however, in years to come he will look back and see things differently. I hate that it will take so long for him to get there.
I am anxious to see more pictures. It appears that you are having to stay in a real dump. ha........ Have barrels of fun and try to endure the down-scaled living style. ha.......... Love, gp
Post a Comment