Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Camel



















When in Egypt, do what the Egyptians do :-) Ride Camels. Of course going to the pyramids, we had to let the kids ride on a camel. Just like everything else there, it was a little shady with regard to trusting people. Our guide helped us out (I think). A lot of people that we talked to either got in a verbal argument with the locals about taking pictures of camels (they wanted to be compensated for the photo), OR if you got on their camel, they wouldn't let you off until you paid more money. Also if they offered to take your picture, they may have run off with your camera. For the equivilent of $45 (quite steep I think, especially for there, but I guess everyone had to get their cut), the kids ended up on a fun (but short) camel ride. Mia especially loved when the camel stood up, and then knelt back down - her deep belly laugh was contageous!
*Notice protective Momma Bailey holding on to her little sister so she doesn't fall off :-)

2 comments:

Amy said...

We are loving reading your blog because we have studied all these things/places this year!!!! You are way braver than I am. I don't think I would have gone far from the ship in Egypt! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. I guess you could write a book on each of your tours. I, too, like camels because of their endurance. I love the Indiana Jones movies. Lew was so into Indiana Jones. I can't remember how many times we watched them. He had them memorized. gp