Friday, January 22, 2010

Back to Barcelona and More Trouble on the Sea






















After Malta, the ship headed off back to Barcelona. The ship traveled over 4000 miles, so we still had one more full day at sea before getting to Barcelona. That night, the captain warned that the waters were getting rough. On the "ship statistic" channel in our room, the seas had been classified as "mild" the entire trip up until then. That night the statistics went from "mild" to "rough" to "very rough" with "gail force winds" and waves 16 - 20 feet! You could feel the front of the huge ship banging on the waves, the ship was creaking, the video of the front of the ship (of course you were not allowed to go on the decks because of the wind, so we had to look at the video) showed water coming up and over the front bow at times. It was quite unnerving, and the highlight for Bryan was when he came into Mia and my room the next morning, and saw the life preservers at the foot of our beds. Definitely an experience! Like the man overboard, and the Egypt experience, it was "all the talk" on the ship the next day, while we were at sea. Many of the staff, had said that it was equal to the worst they had experienced, but a few said they had experienced even worse! P.S. I didn't have any photos of the waves (Bryan did take a photo of Mia and I with the life preservers on our bed, but I didn't let him post it :-)), so the photos are misc. The ice cream photos are hugely sybolical, because the first thing that comes to Camden's mind about cruising is the unlimited ice cream - and the kids certainly got their fare share!!!
We made it back to Barcelona, and then back to Bamberg. We had such a great vacation, and as it always is with us, it is very hard getting back to reality. I know I probably bored you to death, but as with all of the entries on this blog, we will be so glad to look back at these happy memories and times.

3 comments:

Missives from a New Mom said...

Holy cow that does NOT sound like fun! sounds you like you all handled it like I would have--take precautions! Glad things calmed down after that.

Beth and Ryan said...

WOW! What a great trip (except for the very rough seas - I would have used the life preserver as a pillow)! I love traveling the world with you guys!

Gina said...

I for one have enjoyed reading about your trip. These experiences are ones that your family will never forget. Looking forward to reading about the next Rhode's adventure.