I think that I have mentioned that our favorite summer spot is up on the hill at the Spezial Bier Kellar Garten. It is such a relaxing place with a beautiful view, delicious food, and the kids have a huge open space to run and play. We went with friends on Tuesday Night, and I was reminded of something that is really so foreign to our culture, ...the Honor System. Typically when you go into a restaurant with a big group of people, and everyone pays separately - it is a HUGE pain. Here though, everyone orders together at the same time and there is absolutely no rush to finish and get up for the next people to sit down (most meals last hours and hours). Whenever you finish and want to pay, you tell the waiter what you ordered, and then they add it up - all on the Honor System! Spezial was the busiest that I had seen it on Tuesday, and there were about 4 waiters for atleast 250 people. When we were finished, we called the waiter over - told him what we ordered (because they do not write it down and there is no way he could have remembered with all of those people). He added it all up in his head, told us what we each owed, and then gave us change right there on the spot from his bag. The other interesting thing is that waiters earn a decent salary here, so tipping is optional - and usually you only tip up to the next dollar. They call tips "trinken geld", which is "drink money" to enjoy later. Just another interesting difference in cultures. I always say that Bamberg is like the U.S. was 20 to 30 years ago - I love that they can still use the Honor system!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I enjoyed all your blogs, but my favorite one this weekend was the children's theatre. The reason being is that our children are so deprived here of the arts. Unless they are fortunate enough to have parents that are interested or can afford workshops/classes they are never exposed to the fine arts. Schools are too involved with discipline/academics/testing that there is no longer time for creativity or play. So happy that your children are being exposed to so much!!!!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.... Love, gp
Post a Comment