Ever since we moved here 3 1/2 years ago, I have wanted to go to Budapest - it has been on my "bucket list" of things to do. When my friend invited me to go with her, I jumped at the opportunity. So this past weekend, we took the short flight to Budapest, and had a fantastic time. Bryan and the kids were so kind to hold down the fort for a couple of days, and I was able to spend a few days with friends enjoying a new city. It is really an interesting city because just over 20 years ago, it was hidden behind the "iron curtain", and today, it is a flourishing tourist town with Christmas Markets and all - yet it still shows just a little glimpse of architecture and culture from the Communist Regime. Another interesting thing, is that Budapest is actually made up of 2 cities - Buda and Pest. The cities are divided by the Danube River. We stayed in Pest, but both are easily accessible by tram. Most people spoke English (which of course was quite helpful). They have a fully functional public transportation system, and the Western world has quickly shown its influence with chain restaurants and shops. We crammed quite a bit into our 3 day weekend; - we toured the parliment, saw the Hungarian crown, went for a run in the city, visited the "Market," ate out a lot, went to a few Christmas Markets, ate out alot, visited the famous Thermal Baths (the city is full of Hot springs), and even experienced a Hungarian Massage (quite interesting :-) - oh and did I mention we ate out alot :-). I really liked the city of Budapest, and could have stayed a few more days to visit everything. I think getting away is always so much fun, but coming home is fantastic too :-). It was a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment