Tuesday, December 13, 2011
The Media
I am a self declared news junkie! Ever since 9/11, I check the news several times a day to see what is going on in the world. Living here, I rely on the internet (opposed to television) to check the news headlines and updates, and I have to say, as much as I am addicted - it is so depressing! I of course check the National News, but I also keep updated with the local news in Maine and Georgia (just to keep myself "in the loop"). I can definitely see where people not living the daily life in the U.S., would think that things are complete anarchy there. The headlines that were only National news not too long ago, have now become local news as well (shootings, robberies, breakins, scandals etc.). From the outside, looking in, it is quite scary to see. When my Aunt was visiting, she reminded me of all of the things that are not being reported (such as neighbors helping to find a lost dog, families making contributions to great causes, volunteering, random acts of kindness etc.). I have to stop and remind myself, that the Media is not reporting all of the good things that go on everyday - there are so many good people, doing good things, but it is hard to remember that when you see the daily headlines. What is truly scary, is all of those people reading the headlines living in other parts of the world, that have never visited the U.S., or do not personally know any Americans, are left to think that our country is falling apart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment