Sunday, December 18, 2011

Never ceases to amaze me!

The little things never cease to amaze me - I am constantly rethinking the ways of the world, by being enlightened by the little things: Some examples....

*Yesterday we went out to eat at a family owned braureri/ restaurant in a little village. The restaurant is the epitome of a true Bavarian experience. It is inexpensive, delicious, and filled with Germans (both young and old). A family runs the business (all the way up from the Grandmother (70 plus year old) who waitresses, to the younger kids who help out as well. Our German friends that we went out to eat with, pulled out a pot (a small pot - that you would cook vegetables in, on the stove top). I was a little puzzled, because I had no idea what they were doing with a pot. She asked the waitress to put both; her leftovers in the pot and an extra meal to take away to eat the next day. Many Germans don't use a microwave (because "why would you radiate your food?"), so it made perfect sense to bring a pot. You don't need to waste the paper products by throwing something a way, you don't need to waste water with tupperware (by having to wash it after you use it) - INSTEAD - you put it right into the pot- stick it in the refrigerator, and then heat it up when you are ready to eat it! BRILLIANT!!! (and by the way, she was not the only on - we saw another lady with 3 pots :-).

*Also as part of our dining experience.... when we got the bill, it was very inexpensive - I felt like I should give a good tip (Tips in Germany are very different than those in the U.S.. Waiters get compensated as they should - so they do not rely on tips). Instead, it is common to give "trink Geld" - or money for drinks - for later on when you go out with friends (which is all of the time here). Basically, if the bill is 19.50 euro - you can just round up to 20 euro, and then tell them to keep the change. Again, being that our bill was so low, and it was a delicious meal (and the waitress was 70 plus years old), I wanted to leave at least 2 extra euro (it is after all Christmas). The waitress would not take my money. We were sitting there handing the 2 euro back and fourth. Finally, she ended up giving it to Mia, and told her to buy a little treat for herself! Only in Germany would you have a waitress not accept your small little extra trip! Amazing!

*I am always very passionate about education (and its failing in our system). With all 3 kids in German school, there are so many things that strike me as being good and bad about the alternative ways that we are being exposed to. The latest things that makes me laugh (and makes so much sense), is with regard to substitute teachers. Each night, the kids (Bailey and Camden) can look online to see if any of there classes have been cancelled for the next day (due to teacher illness, workshop etc.). When their teacher cannot make it to class, sometimes another one of their teachers will come in and teach an extra lesson in "their" subject area, but often the class is just simply cancelled. If it is at the end of the day, the kids can leave early. If it is in the middle of the day, they can study or "hang out" with friends if they wish. It makes perfect sense to me though, because after my previous stint as a substitute teacher, I realize what a waste of time it is (in the upper grades, typically, students are given "busy" work, because most of the time, a substitute cannot "teach" a lesson the same way the teacher can). Basically, the substitute is a babysitter. It makes so much sense. It also saves millions of dollars by not paying substitute teachers (when you still have to pay the regular teacher salary as well). Mia's class does not do this of course, but beginning in the 5th class - it is done!

*I think I have mentioned before about the German Christmas tradition. Last night, I learned a little more..... On December 6th, St. Nikolaus comes and delivers fruits, nuts and candy, and puts them in children's boots that are laid outside the door. St. Nikolaus was an actual Saint, who instead of openly giving to families in need, would secretly put donations in boots. I found out yesterday, that children leave their "wish list" in the boot, for St. Nikolaus to bring to the Kristkind (Christ Child) - who will bring a gift or 2 on the evening of the 24th. When the family is at Church, the Kristkind comes, and delivers a Weihnacht Baum (Christmas tree), and gifts for the family. It is still a hugely religious Holiday here - the advent Calendars are the best sellers of the Season, and the 4 Advent Candles, can be seen lit at almost every home.

All of the little things, never cease to amaze me!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy your blogs. I know your Holidays are filled with meaningful events that will be remembered in years to come. I am sure you will bring back some of the traditions. I know I would. We had a Merry Christmas but as always family times are shared, and it seems "rushed"... I spent Christmas morning with Jay and family. It was quiet and more like a gathering should be. We played a Christmas trivia game, and I was very impressed how smart the four of them are. ha ha... I missed seeing you all next door. The little couple living in your house were riding kids' bikes with their little ones. That was a pleasant sight! I just don't see children outside playing much anymore in any neighborhood I pass. Maybe the timing is not right. I believe they are inside watching tv or playing video games. That is ok but saddens me when my little class will probably tell me video games were their favorite toy. I don't think you will be impressed with our educational system if it does not change before you return. My para with 20 years experience retired this month and will not return next week. She opted not to continue to "babysit". I will miss her so much. She is a great instructor and so good with the children; however, her job description has changed drastically this year. It amazes me that more of the paras do not seek other employment. I know it is insulting to them. It would be to me for sure. They have so much to offer the children. I never thought I would dread going to work, but I do now. The positive side is that we have only five months left of this school year. I can handle that! It is a dismal day, but I think it is going to clear up enough to go see a movie this afternoon with Skyler. Maggie Grace will not go to a movie or it may be that Elizabeth just wants to be the first to take her. The movie is a true story about a dolphin. I think it will be a good one. Please continue to enjoy your time together before you have to wake up early, etc....... Thanks again for the wonderful card and cookies. Hope you get your package before you return to school routines. I sent something for snowy, indoor days. Big hugs and lots of love, GP