Sunday, November 20, 2011

Spelling



The one big problem that I have heard about switching a child from German school, back to English school is with spelling. Many words in German are similar to their English equivilent however, the spelling is quite different. I have found myself sometimes stopping to ponder what the correct spelling of some of the most simple words are. It is funny how I don't write in German often, but I do read, and often forget the "correct" way to spell. In German; Kindergarden is Kindergarten, Hello is Hallo, Beer is Bier, family is familie, school is schule, English is Englisch etc. As Mia has been "playing school" lately at home (it is cute, because she plays school completely in German, as that is what she knows school to be), I of course think about how her spelling will be an issue for her. She does a good job with deciphering English sounds (blends) from German Sounds (blends), but I still worry. I guess most older kids type now anyway, and you always have spell check to help out. :-) - I hope!!!!

No comments: