Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!!!!













Halloween is such a funny Holiday over here. I always say that living in Germany is a little bit like living in the U.S. 30 years ago. I have no idea when the tradition of "trick or treating" began in the U.S., but it is has been a tradition as long as I can remember. Here, the tradition is just slowly beginning. I think the stores (commercialism) have instigated the beginning, because I have seen a few costumes and decorations being sold recently in the stores. I have candy at home "just in case" someone rings the door bell tonight, but I am not holding my breath. Many of the German kids know that the Base celebrates Halloween, and many enjoy the opportunity to share in the festivities. The only problem is it is a very small area for trick or treating, and there are oodles of kids, so it is not quite the traditional way. The idea of ringing a doorbell is almost non existant because there is already a line of kids formed at most doors. Tonight, we will have a car full of German friends though to share in the "American Tradition." Speaking of Halloween...Bailey had a really fun time last night. She had some of her German friends come over for a "get together" followed by an excursion to the Haunted House. I think they all had so much fun, and the faces/screams when they came out were priceless. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

No comments: