Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Boom" Gemacht! - Mia the Hero for the Day!

Yesterday, we were witnesses to a motorcycle accident. We were on a main street, stopped at a light, when all of a sudden a motorcycle came flying by to the left of us, crossed an intersection and then got plowed into by a car pulling out. It was so obvious that it was the fault of the motorcycle driver, that I even said outloud to the kids, "this guy is going to get killed" before the accident even occured. Luckily, he was wearing a helmet, and he survived, but it was quite frightening (we don't tend to see that many accidents over here).
I wasn't sure what we should do, but thought that if I were the driver of the car, I would certainly want someone to speak up to say that it was not my fault (and instead obviously the motorcycle driver). So the car that was parked at the light in front of us, and the kids and I hung around until the police came, in order to document what we saw. This is where it gets quite funny (we could laugh at this point because nobody was hurt :-)). My kids were all "into" it, they (embarassingly enough) took photos from their IPODs of the "damage." They looked like they were crime investigators :-). The Polizei finally arrived, and came over to speak to me, My German is terrible, and it was quite funny trying to explain what had happened (I wanted to do a good job explaininng, but the Polizei seemed to be laughing). I then asked Mia to help explain. He looked at us with a really questionable look, like "sure - this little girl can explain better then you?" Mia does a GREAT job rattling off in German what had happened. At the end of her explanation, the only thing I understood was her explaing that "das Auto hat ein boom gemacht", which basically translates to "the car hit the motorcycle, and made a "boom." The Polizei smiled wide, and asked her who took her 2 front teeth. She replied "the tooth fairy" in German. He then questioned me who this child was (because A. she spoke German, and I did not, and B. She looks nothing like me). After a quick explanation, he smiled, and thanked Mia for her help! Excitement for the Evening. It seems like there is never a dull moment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so miss you guys........
J-bob

christibob said...

I "DITTO" JBob's comment !!!