Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Funny Story...

After school the other day, Mia and I were eating lunch. She was telling me all about her day, and telling me about how much she likes art class. She kept going on and on about how art is her favorite subject. She told me that "they" go into the 3rd grade class for art (which she loves because her friend who is in 3rd grade is in her class too). I assumed that the 3rd grade teacher must combine the classes or something. I didn't think too much about it until she mentioned how only she and one other boy from her class go into the art class because they have the same color skin??????????!!!!!!!!!!!%&****. I stopped, with my jaw wide open trying to figure out what in the world she was talking about. I then had to back track to try to follow the details a little better. I knew we aren't in the U.S. , but surely this could not happen in the public school system here!!!! I narrowed the story down to the fact that she and this other boy are the only 2 kids in her class that go to the 3rd grade for "art." Having just finished my teaching certification, I know all about differentiated instruction, so I thought maybe they had identified these 2 kids as good artists (I am a little biased and proud that Mia is very good at drawing :-). Then I sat back for a minute, and was all excited thinking, wow this is impressive that they would move her up. Then I got to thinking about why she thought they were in this class together because of the color of their skin? She told me the teacher had them draw a self portrait, and they used the same crayon for their skin color - so that is where thie idea came from. I am utterly confused at this point, and then look at her schedule to see what time they have art. I could not find it on Wednesday on the schedule, but I did find religion on same day. I asked her a few more questions, and the story unravelled.... She goes into a Religion class (not an art class) with the few students in the school who are not Catholic. She does not go with this boy because they have the same color skin :-). So in fact, it is not an art class, and no, my future Picasso was not moved up because of her budding artistic abilities, but yes she is in the minority few that are not Catholic, and as a result gets grouped in with older kids during the Religion Class. It is amazing how innocent she is - my sweet Mia in her "art class" :-)

No comments: