Friday, July 3, 2009
Hard to Believe!
I don't think I've really mentioned yet how we feel that living here is a little like stepping back in time. ALL stores are closed on Sunday, Holidays are still religious and not Commercial, people ride bikes for transportation and carry wicker baskets into the store to carry their items purchased. There are many other aspects that make us feel like we've stepped back in time, but perhaps the biggest is that you still see young children (and I mean young) walking to school by themself, taking the city bus by themself, going to activities by themself etc. It is truly the most surprising and neat thing to observe. I think one of the greatest things about this way of life is that early on, children here have responsibility and I have observed that as the kids grow up, they know what responsibility is, so they aren't quite as wild as some of our kids when we set them free for the first time in their late teens. The reason I am saying all of this is because of something funny that happened yesterday. When I bring the kids to their new German activities, I bring them and then stay (because it isn't really worth my time to go all the way back home). Well, We are the ONLY parents that stay. I felt like I had to explain to Bailey's teacher as to why I felt like we have to bring her and stay (because back home it would be unheard of to let your young kids ride the city streets by themselves to get to an activity). It was quite amuzing because she looked at me and said that here, "only parents of the children 5 and under would bring the kids and stay". I think she understood where I was coming from, but probably couldn't quite believe it. I am just not quite ready to let the kids loose on their bikes in the city to find their way to their activities - Especially Mia in a year :-) (Can you even imagine!!!) It is a little sad that we can't quite comprehend this way of life, because this is the way it really should be. I was nervous back home letting the kids play in the dead end street culdesac... they probably think we are crazy!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You are so right about your observations. When I was ten I rode my bike with friends all over Orange County, Fla. for an entire day. We would jump in any lake, climb citrus trees for a snack and were responsible in getting home before dark. We had our fiddles, etc.... in the bike baskets. No cell phones for emergencies, etc..... How time has changed things. I am glad your children are being exposed to a different culture and assuming responsbilities. I feel that you were doing a good job of teaching them resonsibility when you were here.
Wishing you all a Happy Fourth of July from the good old USA. We may have our faults and weaknesses and fallen short on many counts; however, we are still a land of the free. (I don't know how much longer that will last. I know you are Obama fans, but you would not believe what his stimulus packaging is doing to our educational system. Very very sad.) Take care. Love, gp
That is why we let Evangeline drive the WV segment of our trip back from Kentucky. She needs more independence :)
And I was going to let the comment pass but cannot because it is the current rhetoric from the conservative side of the fence and I'm not sure how much time you all spend on US news. President Obama's stimulus plan has only tightened and supported Bush's plan of No Child Left Behind. But has given it more money. Strange because those who voted for him would have thought much more would have come from this issue. But because he let the House craft the bill it just ends up politics as usual. I know President Obama has to pick his issues to fight with Congress on but I really thought this was going to be one of them.
Post a Comment