Saturday, July 11, 2009

4th of July
















For as long as I can remember, we have spent the 4th of July in Maine with my family and we celebrate all day with the "famous" town parade and then a party at my Mom and Dad's with friends and family. This year was a little different for us being that we are over seas and was not quite the same. We did the race in the morning and then in the afternoon went to the base where they had a few festivities. It rained off and on all day, and they did have fireworks in the evening at 10:30 (when it finally gets dark here), but we bailed on that plan and went to bed instead. Many of the Germans don't even know of this big holiday that we celebrate and were surprised with the fireworks! It was classic, as only would be in Bamberg, on the way home from the afternoon activities that we attended on the base, we ran into the "beer bike wagon" riding on the main street. The premise is that on both sides of the wagon people drink beer and pedal, while the sober driver is steering (however the momentum comes from the peddlers). I guess this is a contraption that you rent here and can go out on the town. It was truly a sight to see - Only in Bamberg :-) And of course there I am sticking my head out the window of the car to try to get a picture - too funny!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
Can I come and live with you? It is sooooo boring here. Noone I know has nearly as much fun and togetherness...... I was invited to a friend's pool party on the Fourth. That was fun, but it was not with family. It is an ordeal to get my two sons' families to come over to my house unless it is Christmas. Sad, huh?
It is difficult to believe that it is time for me to peck away in my classroom. I went over Friday morning. Michelle (our assistant) traded off her muscles to help me move the heavy stuff around. I kept her daughter, Allie, for the day. She and I went to the Y. She would fit right in with you folks. She is five now, and there is not a thing she will not try. I enjoyed the day with her.
I am going to watch Mason, Michelle's son, race his motorcycle tonight at Gordan Raceway. He has been racing since age four. It is the first time he is racing close by so I don't want to miss seeing him. Her children are like my adopted grandchildren.
That is all the fun stuff in my life. It could be worse, but there is no comparison in the ACTION in Bamberg. What fun!!!!! Good to see a family together and thriving in wholesome fun. Take care and hugs to everyone. gp