Friday, November 26, 2010

Homeschooling (and me)

I haven't really mentioned too much about homeschooling.We are nearing the halfway point in our school year (still about another month to go), and it is going really well. I have to say that honestly I have learned so much! The kids have obviously been learning so much as well, but I am astounded at how much I did not know before we began homeschooling. I get so excited each day, as new facts arise. I remember an old friend (who has always homeschooled her children), had mentioned to me that after homeschooling, she could hardly believe that she had a college degree. I feel very much the same way, and I am a certified teacher (quite scary - when you think about it!). I think teachers become experts in their area of expertise after teaching for a while, but at the beginning there is just so much to know! When the pressure is all off - it is soo much fun learning with the kids! I'm still not that keen on Bailey's Math (Bryan has to help her, because it is beyond me now - yes, 8th grade math these days is harder than my highschool math). I do love Camden's Math though :-) - 5th grade is about my level :-) The kids are enjoying it, and atleast for now when asked about what we are going to do next year - they both want to continue homeschooling. Instead of dragging them to afterschool activities because they are so tired from the school day, and just want down time - they are now eager to go because they have more time in general. Our days are more meaningful, and when opportunities arrise, we have time to take full advantage (ex. as I am writing this, the kids are playing outside in the snow). Even if this was the only year that we homeschool - I am so glad to have had the opportunity to learn more about my kids in general (their learning styles, likes, dislikes etc.), and also to have this special time together. So far it has been great!

No comments: