Sunday, November 7, 2010

Happy Adoption Month!


Happy Adoption Month!!!

Mia is now 5 years old, and honestly 95% of the time, I forget that she is adopted. I look at her face and see my youngest daughter. I do not see the Asian face that is different than mine. I forget about the 16 month wait of anxiousness that we experienced waiting for this precious child. I forget that for her first 11 months, we were not there to hold her and love her. All I see is my daughter!....

There is 5% of the time that I am forced to remember that with all of the similarities that we share now, there is one difference - We do not look alike. In Germany it is extremely rare to adopt. It is even more rare to adopt a child of a different ethnicity. The other thing is that Germans do not tend to get involved in other peoples business and they do not tend to gossip. With that said, I am often put in an odd situation where I feel like I must explain why Mia is Chinese. People will not ask me here - honestly I don’t think they can figure it out (because adoption is so rare). I went out for coffee the other day with a lady that I had met. She had never seen Bailey, Camden, or Mia, but had met Bryan the night before. We went to a really neat coffee shop, where children can also play. She was going to bring her young son, so naturally I decided to bring Mia as well. After about an hour of chatting, I asked her where her son got his blond hair (she had very dark hair). I then looked at Mia and thought – WOW – she is probably wondering why Mia is Chinese. I explained to her then that she is adopted and that is why she does not look like Bryan or I. In this day and age, I guess there are many blended families, divorces etc. – it would be kind of hard to figure out.

As the ancient Chinese Legend says, “An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." As a family, we cannot imagine our lives without Mia. We definitely were destined to be together.

I feel so fortunate to be her Mother - Our little Chinese/ German/ American

No comments: