Thursday, October 7, 2010

Drives me Crazy!

I always talk about all of the things over here that "make sense." Of course though, like everywhere you go in life - nothing is perfect! There are definitely things that drive me crazy here! I thought I'd list a few...
*When you go to return your library books, you have to wait in line to have them checked back in (It does make sense, because there is never any question as to whether or not you returned a book, but it can be irritating!)
*Rarely do people exchange "small talk." When you mention to someone that it is cold outside, they may say in return, "Well - it IS WINTER!"
*Because everything is so old, often things are under construction/renovation (including the bridge in Prague, the Eiffel Tower, the Parthenon in Athens etc). It is frustrating when you are trying to get a good photo :-)
*The grocery line checkout is STRESSFUL. Not only do you bag your own groceries, but you have to bring your own bags unless you want to pay for bags. The checkout people are SOO fast, and you have all of these people waiting behind you. If you have a big load - it can be overwhelming! (especially with 3 kids).
*If a new line is formed (because a new cashier comes out), it is a free for all with regard to who gets to go first in the new line (no one ever says - "I'll take the next customer in line please")
*Tractors drive on the road everywhere (including the city). I think the only place they don't drive is on the Autobahn. They go fast, but if you get stuck behind one it can be irritating.
*The streets are soo narrow, and the parking spots are so small - not meant for my big automobile! We have dents on all four corners now, and a broken headlight to boot. I take it all in stride, but it can sometimes be so difficult.
*If you want to call any type of customer service to sort out a a bill or make an airline reservation etc. - they charge your phone by the minute for the time that you are on the phone with them. You come to expect that free service back home, but I guess we take it for granted - because here you must pay!
I'm sure there are many more things, but I started feeling a little guilty about always posting all of the "great things" here, and thought I'd write about some of the frustrating ones.

As a side note, I thought I would mention this difference also. Most Germans are very literal. If they say, "come on over" - they truly mean "come over." They don't mean it as small talk at all. It took us a while to figure this out... :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well....... If that is all that bugs you, you are so blessed. I would not begin to type a list; especially this week because I have been in a very "negative" mood about many things....... Hope your home schooling is going well. I so wish I were wealthy and could afford to send my little grandchildren to a GREAT private school.... Calye and Harrison are ok, but the little ones are not going to get a well-rounded education. That is a thing of the past..... Won't keep going on that one. Have a great weekend. Glad Columbus was an adventuresome fellow. We get Monday off. Hugs to everyone. gp