Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Autobahn


The German Autobahn is obviously well known, but what most people don't realize is that it is just the name for the German highway (any highway - not a specific one). I don't really think about the differences when I'm driving on the Autobahn anymore, until it hits me like a ton of bricks when I'm driving in another country. Just like most things here - it makes sense. The Autobahn is simple - if there is a speed limit posted, you obey it. If there is no speed limit posted, you can go at any speed, provided that you have control of the auto. The other big rule is that you only get in the left lane to pass, and then you immediately get back in the right lane. Easy as that - and it works! Sure you hve those crazy BMW, Porsche, Lambraghini drivers who like to test the road, but there are no worries, because everyone obeys the rule - you would NEVER have the occassional left lane Sunday driver on the Autobahn - it just wouldn't happen. You never pass in the right lane either, because you don't have to. When driving in the Netherlands this weekend, the pain staking reality of having to drive 90 Kilometers an hour (around 55 mph) was miserable - It takes you so long to get anywhere! I definitely think that will be a hard one to get used to when we get home. We typically drive around 80 miles an hour (our Van is not designed for speed :-) , but Bryan did have it up to 100mph on the trip home. I had my handy dandy camera - so I thought I'd share :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh My....... Before you return practice on the pedal..... Calye just learned about the speed limit here...... Her consequence was a bit stiff in my opinion for a first-time offense. She would do well in Germany with no speed limits. ha. ha.... Guess we all would..... I am heavy on the pedal at times. Interesting.... gp