Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dachau
































My parents arrived on Friday for the Month and we are so excited to have our first company! On Friday we walked around Bamberg and then went to Camden’s first Baseball game of the Season. Yesterday we left for Southern Bavaria, stopping at Dachau along the way. Dachau is a town just outside of Munich that is known for the Dachau Concentration Camp. It is a quite sobering experience. Knowing that it was not appropriate for young children, my mom took Mia Shopping and even though Camden wasn’t thrilled about going, I thought it was important that he experience the visit. Bailey has read the Diary of Anne Frank and was interested in going. The first distinguishing landmark was the gate that you walk through that says “Arbeit Macht Frei”, which means “Work brings Freedom.” This is located on the bridge that prisoners were required to walk through before entering the camp. From 1933 – 1945, thousands of people died here. It was quite sobering, but living over here we felt it was so important to see how different life would have been just a short time ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you are thrilled to have your parents with you. When will school be out? We are on spring break this week. Christi and the kids left yesterday for Hilton Head. Christi deserves a rest. She really has worked hard to get the house ready.

I think Jay will leave after work tomorrow. He was going to stay overnight here but I have a feeling he will get to HH as soon as he can. He plans to work there in HH. I hope they have a good week.

Enjoy your folks and keep the blogs posted. Give the kids a hug for me. Love and Prayers, gp