Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Hills are alive with the Sound of Music (Salzburg, Austria)
















Salzburg is a beautiful city with many highlights including being the birthplace of Mozart. The most famous thing though is of course being the setting for the Movie “The Sound of Music.” J They literally have bus tours just for this purpose. It is funny because the movie was not popular at all in Austria or Germany and many people here don’t even know what it is J. We opted for the self guided tour and hiked up the side of the mountain to see the famous fortress, went to the house on the lake, saw the famous Gazebo (I am 16 going on 17…), the cemetery where they hid out etc. It is a super quaint city – much smaller than I expected. Bailey was a little sick of me breaking out “The hills are alive with the sound of music….” At one point she said to me “do you know any other versus or just the first one J” We did have a fun time holding arms and skipping down the mountain path singing “Doe – a Deer – a female Deer….” A little corny (O.K. A LOT corny), but we had fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOT CORNY AT ALL..... How could you not sing in that setting? The Sound of Music is one of my all-time favorites. I think Jay saw some of the places when he was in Germany. He was so impressed. I just hope they will be willing/able to go visit you all before you return. You are returning right?
I am sure it would be a difficult choice to choose your most favorite place right now. The Alps are absolutely gorgeous.
Lew and family ate lunch with me today. Jay and family were invited, but I think they were anxious to get back in their house.
I am ready to get back to work tomorrow. I do not do well at home. That sounds crazy, but it is the truth. We have 35 days left of this school year. I am sure I will have a larger class size in the fall. That will not be good; however, I am almost positive that I will not have the same para. She is very lazy and only wants to scrapbook the memory books.
It has been a hard year trying to keep things somewhat organized, cleaning up messes, etc...... and do what I am expected to do with the children. In the future I will be certain to let the person assigned to my room understand what my expectations are. It really is not her fault; however, I thought commmon sense would kick in at some point.
Enough of my rambling....... Can't wait for your next blog. Congratulations to all who made it up to the top of the mountain. Love to all, gp

ChristiBob said...

This was Jay's favorite place - he said he was right there in front of
the gazebo, too!! It is so beautiful - my new favorite picture of ya'll is the one skipping together - it's GREAT - it's definately going on the mantel.