Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thanksgiving!

One of my friends that I've met since living over here invited us over for a Thanksgiving lunch on Wednesday! We have lived here for 7 months now (which seems like an eternity) and we've never met her husband - because he has been deployed. He is home for his R & R (rest and relaxation) for a few weeks before having to return and won't be back until the until the end of October. Before moving here, I gave little thought to the military families who have to live without their spouses for 15 months at a time. Now I have made friends with wonderful people who have to sacrifice their lives for our country (I don't just mean just the husbands, but the wives - who did not sign up for this - have to sacrifice so greatly too). We have had 4 birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, many trips, and the list goes on since being here only 7 months. These families are seperated for 15 months at a time! It honestly was such a treat to be invited to this special Thanksgiving dinner that my friends all came too. Even though it was 4 months after the offical Thanksgiving, it was a huge reminder to me what these families are going through (not to mention delicious too!!! :-). I truly don't know how they do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Allison to all you said. All of us living comfortably in the US and others around the world are much indebted to our troops who sacrifice so much to defend our way of life. This world would have been a much poorer place if not for their service, and also the sacrifice of their families.

Dad

Anonymous said...

You all are first-hand witnesses now of how life is for millions of families. We are so secure and fortunate that we have not encountered family separation such as they, and we normally do not think about how difficult it must be for those serving with their husbands or wives. Thank you for the reminder!!!
I get e-mail with pictures of the troops but not of the families that are separated from their relatives and friends. Please relate my gratefulness to your friends there.
We are expecting some winter wether today and tonight. We are having a severe storm now. It is 6:11 am and the storm woke me up. It has to be pretty bad for me with my deafness. ha.....By the way, I have a hearing aid for my right ear now. It makes a world of difference. I know Jay will be happy. He has such a soft and low voice that I never could quite understand him. Actually, he is the reason I bought one. ha..... No problems with other adults, but I do have to remind the little ones to talk big.
Rush Limbaugh is on a roll these days. I really don't care for him, but I am conservative and agree with most things he has to say. He is just a bit too dramatic for me so I don't listen long. I just turned him off to check the weather. It is just as dramatic as he, but I can't turn the lightning and thunder off. ha. Take care and keep growing and learning about life. Love to all, gp