Walhalla was built in the early 1800's by Kink Ludwig the first. It was designed specifically after the Parthenon in Greece (and looks just like it) and was built to honor the authors, poets, scientists, musicians etc. that contributed to the cultural importance during that time. It was fascinating because it is this incredible building - pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and is positioned on a hill overlooking the Danube River. Inside the building houses busts of all of these prominent cultural figures and was just such a neat sight to see. The kids loved running up and down all of the steps (and there were many! :-) We are having so much fun seeing all of these cool historical places!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I look forward to your weekends. This blog is very interesting to me because I remember very well newsclips of Hitler standing in the podium. Your journals will be a forever reminder to your family of places visited that few will ever see.
Wish you could have eaten with us last night. Christi cooked and whatever Christi decides to do is perfection! I really enjoyed the meal.
I took Skyler to the Y and pulled what Jay said was my rotary cuff? Hope it doesn't stay as hurtful as it is tonight. I took some tylenol and will rub some old blue on it. ha.
Take care and know you all are in our thoughts and prayers. gp
I love these pictures! the history is nice, too :) Seriously, fall in Germany looks gorgeous--just like you all.
Post a Comment