Tuesday, November 4, 2008

C - M - B


I have funny story to share.... When we first moved in to our house, we were so excited to have found such a great house and such kind people to rent from. With much anticipation the day of the big move came and we came and met the people that we rent from to get the keys to the house. It seemed to all have fallen into place perfectly and even after just short of a month of living in a hotel it just seemed like it was meant to be. We had received the keys and were standing in the door way saying our gratitudes and goodbyes when I looked up and saw the following printed above our door: 20 * c + m + b * 08 I was blown away! Immediately I thought how unbelieveable welcoming this is; They have put the initials of my 3 children (Camden, Mia and Bailey along with the year (2008). Right away, I knew it was all going to be great.
Well come to find out the c+m+b is not for my 3 children, but in celebration of the 3 kings.
"Three Kings" -- Heilige Drei Könige is an old German custom where costumed children go from house to house on the eve of Epiphany, carrying water and incense blessed by the priest. They sing carols and solicit treats for themselves and donations for charities. Someone from the group may walk through the house with incense to rid it of evil, write the initials "CMB" (for the traditional names of the Wise Men: Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar) and the number for the new year over the front door ("20 CMB 09"), sprinkle some water, and say a little prayer asking for protection for the house.
So not only is it our door that have my children's initials on it, but every (Catholic) Door in germany. I thought this was too funny. I guess sometimes you find peace in the strangest places!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bailey!!!! I cannot imagine that you are ten years old. You look so pretty and happy. I am glad you all are having such fun and making lots of friends.

That was a funny story and one to remember. Don't we get surprises in the strangest places?

I am still waiting for some pictures of Mia's classroom. I am so intrigued with the concept of having two through six year olds together. I wish I could visit the school or better yet, teach there.

Well tonight the good old USA will decide who our new president will be. I am so insecure about our country's future. I know you all are Obama supporters so I won't get political. ha..... It is a concern of mine that God will be taken out of our pledge and new guidelines implemented that will be offensive to me. If things get more socialistic than they are now, it will be time for me to retire.

Please give everyone a big hug and kiss for me. I miss knowing that you are not next door to Jay and Christi. I don't hear from them very often. Christi stays very busy with little Chloe and her mom.

Take care and keep your wonderful up-dates flowing. Love and Prayers, gp

Anonymous said...

What a cool story - I knew my kids were "angels", but who knew they had the same first initials as the three kings!!!!! How amazing is that????
ChristiBob