Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Olympics...a little weird

In 2008, we had been living in a Hotel during the entire Olympics. Our television was very limited and frankly, we didn't have a lot of spare time with 3 little kids, to sit and watch (I felt like we really missed out that year). In 2012 it has been a little weird as well... I was with friends in Berlin during the opening ceremonies. We got a glimpse of the tail end of it (thankfully, they walked in alphabetical order so I was able to see the U.S. team). It was funny though because the telecast kept screening back to the German team. I told my friend, "the camera people really like the Germans don't they", and my friend says - "Allison - you are in Germany." That is when my excitement for the Olympics went a little sour. I usually LOVE to watch the background stories of all of the Olympians. I especially LOVE the gymnastics. The coverage here is OF COURSE on the German Olympians, and as silly as it sounds I kind of forgot that the Olympics were an international event with people cheering for their OWN country all over the world (not that of the U.S). And yes, in fact, only the Americans care how the Americans fare in the Olympics :-) A little weird to get used to. We are "real" time here in Europe too, so I can tell you who won the events by lunch time U.S. time (that is a little weird too, because I check the U.S. news online, and the big Gold Medal winners haven't even been posted yet, even though the events are already finished here. So with all of that said, once again, we have not gotten into the "Olympic Fever" like I had originally hoped for. I always remember the front page being that the of the U.S. Gymnasts Gold medal winnings, and here, I'm not sure if it even made the paper. I'm curious too though, if there is as big a feeling of Olympic pride back as I remember it, back in the U.S. - or if times have changed a bit???

No comments: