Sunday, March 25, 2012

Handwriting









When Bailey was in second grade, I remember her teacher telling me that the "rumor mill" was that Georgia was going to be going away from teaching cursive in the classroom, because in the future everyone will be typing and there will be no need for cursive. Camden learned a little bit of cursive in 3rd grade, but we had to really "relearn" it during our homeschooling year. It is an interesting thought. One problem with not learning it though, is that if you can't write in cursive, you probably wouldn't be able to read cursive - and at some point that might be a problem. Going even further, this year I have learned (through Mia's school) the importance of coordination when writing in cursive. Depending on the quality of work that you wish to create, there are different pens to use (who would have known :-)) . Beginning in the 2nd grade, children here use calligraphy style pens (with the refillable ink containers) - apparently in order to successfully use these, you must be knowledgeable about angles and such. With the background of cursive in Bailey and Camden's schooling, I am pleasantly surprised with the importance of quality handwriting in Mia's school. In just 6 months (they don't learn academics in kindergarten, so they have only had a total of 6 months of schooling), her classroom handwriting is so surprising, and is actually very pretty. I am quite impressed with it especially for such a short period of time. It is so interesting to me how the philosophies on handwriting within different cultures are so varied. ****so sorry for not being able to rotate the photos of Mia's handwriting - I am sure it is user malfunction, but for whatever reason, this is the best I could do :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just looked at Mia's writing. I totally believe that cursive writing is important. For some reason writing will be implemented this fall. Maybe they realize that is important. She does very well, and I agree that it builds fine motor skills and is good for the brain. In my opinion our society relies far too much on technology. I see folks sitting by each other and texting each other. Communication skills will soon be a thing of the past. ha ha... Social skills are already lacking because of technology. Guess it is true..."Too much of any good thing can be bad." Anyway, tell Mia to keep up the good work. Hope you are still getting your runs in.... Love to all. gp