Tuesday, September 14, 2010

True Bavarians (O.K. not really :-))



























Octoberfest is just around the corner, and as hugely famous as it is in the U.S., the Germans in this neck of the woods tend to think of it as a HUGE tourist trap. I guess it is like New Years in Time Square - not something that most of the locals would want to get to caught up in. The second biggest "fest" in Bavaria, happens right here in Bamberg in August. (I am writing about this a little late). Our town of 60,000 people, turns into a town of 200,000 people. It last several days/nights, and is a ton of fun. The celebration is called Sandkerwa - which is the celebration of one of the many churches in Bamberg. (I think I had mentioned earlier that almost every church in Bavaria has an annual celebration (or Kerwa). When people tend to think of Oktoberfest they think of the "German Outfits" called "Dirndl's" (for the girls), and Lederhosen" (for the boys). You can always tell the tourists that come to Bamberg for Sandkerwa, because they wear the Lederhosen and Dirndl's (in this area, people don't tend to wear them - it is mostly in Southern Bavaria). Well, the Rhodes Family decided that when living in Germany, we must do what the German's do (even if it is what they do only in Southern Bavaria) - we all bought Dirndl's and Lederhosen for the Sandkerwa - and yes we did look like tourists - and yes, my kids were not too happy - but we will look back on the occasion with laughter - and surely we have great Halloween costumes for the next several years :-) You'll have to wait until next year to see Bryan and I dressed up - I am always the photo taker, and Bryan was in the U.S. :-)

2 comments:

Cbob said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE OUTFITS !!!! Did you notice all three of the kiddos are standing on one foot up against the wall ~ was that planned ???

Anonymous said...

Honestly...... You have gorgeous children. The last photo looks as though it was a movie set with actors posing..... You need to for sure enlarge that one. Love, gp