Friday, July 18, 2008

The TV Makes a Come Back!

Ever since I have been in my hotel the TV has not worked. I have asked them at the front desk now probably 5 times. Each time they say they are working on it. I even filled out the in-room card to have it fixed. They just took the card and I never heard anything back. Since I really don't speak a word of German I guess it doesn't matter to have it working, but now it is becoming comical. I thought about unplugging the TV and bringing it downstairs to the front desk to see what kind of response I may get. Anyway....last night in the room next to me around 9:45 PM I heard very very loud music. The one thing I have learned over here is that Germans love their quiet. When I eat breakfast every morning in the hotel, folks whisper and you could hear a pin drop so this was a bit unusual to me. It almost sounded like a concert going on outside, but I narrowed it down to the room next to me. Then I could hear a movie playing and I realized it was the TV. Well it kept playing loud, but I fell asleep (when I am tired I can sleep through anything). Around 4:00 AM this morning I awoke to loud banging on doors, floors, walls, etc as Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" played like she was singing it outside my door. During the course of the song, the banging got louder and louder (maybe the Germans don't like Whitney?). Then the hallway filled up with folks banging, kicking and yelling at the door. Still no response and Whitney sang on hitting all of her high notes flawlessly. Now the police arrived and the maintenance folks as well. More banging and yelling followed of course without any response from the room. They then turned off the power to the room and Whitney was cut off forever. My hunch is that they fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book. The hotel "TV Timer set when I check out of my room trick”. This is where you turn the TV volume all the way up and set the timer for the TV to come on at a certain time right before you check out. I think the room was vacant and the front desk is closed so no one could get in the room to turn it off. I give this one an A as it was brilliantly pulled off. Good job.

No comments: