Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Testing

We have been "testing" this week. By "we", I mean the kids are testing and I am administering. We have a small homeschool group that has opted to take the ITBS Standardized test, just to make sure that individual families are on track with regard to schooling. Just as in a regular school atmosphere, we have devoted the week to "testing", in a classroom, with other students -and all of the same usual rules apply.

Standardized Testing is a really interesting thing. I am not a big fan, although for some reason I feel compelled to keep a record of where the kids are with their schooling. The wierd thing about testing, is that every state has its own standards for school, and most states have their own test that they give. You may move from one state to another, and have totally different expectations. As a homeschooling family, not affiliated with any state, it is especially interesting knowing that we pretty much just pick our own recognized test to take - if we even choose to test (it may be NOTHING like the Georgia test that the kids would take back home). As much as I dislike the testing, it IS reaffirming to see the results. I guess that is what; schools, administrators, states, and our nation are all looking for - results. Testing is such highstakes now, and the pressure that the kids have is tremendous. Funds that; states, counties, and schools receive can be based on the results of these tests. I know I am rambling, but I am quite passionate about the subject, so I needed to ramble a bit :-)

No comments: