Monday, December 6, 2010

Sledding







On Sunday we went up to the top of one of the hills in Bamberg to go sledding. It is such a pretty spot. It looks over the city, and you can hear the church bells in the city ring all around - picture perfect! Anyway, the kids had their first sledding day of the season, and had a great time. The Germans have the traditional wooden sleds, and we have the tacky plastic sleds (I do have to admit though, that the tacky plastic ones go quite fast in comparison). The wooden sleds are so adorable though, and you often see children being pulled to kindergarten on the sleds (so cute). (Note to my Mom and Dad - I know you have the wooden sleds also, but you have to admit that the other snow tubes that you have make the driveway that much faster :-)) A REALLY fun morning!
After that, Mia and I went to see a play called the "Kleine Hexe" (The Littlest Witch). I often forget how important it is to have one on one time with the kids - and she thrived just having all of the attention on her. It was a really cute show at a Children's theatre, and even I could understand most of it, which was very nice.
Lastly, my friend and I went down to the Christmas Market in the Evening. You would think it would be quiet on a Sunday evening, but NO - it was completely bustling. The lights were twinkling, a band was playing carols, the shops were open, and food/gluwein stands were busy. I was telling my friend how I always seem to think it can't get any better than this and then something else pops up before us. 5 minutes after that conversation, it starts to flurry with snow - Life is definitely good! (watch the video of Mia - everything looks good, until the very end :-))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Mia....Hope she is ok...... So beautiful and looks like so much fun! My first snow was seen in Chattanooga, Tn. when I was 19 years old. With my gravitational insecurities I did not do so well walking . ha ha.... Think most folks thought I was trying to be cute, but I wasn't....
What a great way to enjoy the few weeks before Christmas. I know you all are going on a cruise that will be an awesome way to celebrate as a family. I did manage to get my little package and candy canes to Christi. Hope you all don't have the game. I thought it might be something different to play on those cozy nights in Germany. As always I look forward to your blogs. Send some of the white stuff to us. I love the cold and the snow far more than beating the heat. Take good care and know all my best hugs are being sent before your trip. Love to all. gp

Anonymous said...

Allison, I sent you an email at the cheerful.com address. Just wondering if you can email me your Germany address again (I know it was on your envelope, but we are a mess around here). Thanks.
Carol (hsunarucki@yahoo)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of your recent trip! All of you look super happy and beautiful/handsome. GD and GM