Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Israel






































When planning our trip to Israel, I researched on the internet to find a guide, and we ended up finding a guide who was absolutely FANTASTIC. If we ever went back (which we hope to), I would recommend him a thousand times over. He knew all of the ins and outs, and was so knowledgeable - and just really fun. I knew within 20 minutes of getting in the car that it was going to be a GREAT time. He asked the kids if they wanted to take the highway to Jeruselum or go off road a bit, and of course the kids chimed right in..."Off Road." He took us through a nature park that is near a Peace Settlement where 144 families, made up of 4 completely different faiths, live harmoniously together. On the way there, we ran into a Palestinian Shepard crossing the road with his flock of sheep (this is the kind of thing that I live for :-)).
After our windy and bumpy ride through the park on the way to Jeruselum (he had a special car for off road - Bryan was certain we would get a flat), he took us to a beautiful overlook where you could see the West Bank. When doing research, I had read that Jeruselum is quite safe (Gaza strip - not so much :-)), and our guide explained to us that all of the religions have such a vested interest in preserving the old city and for tourism, that it is deemed essential to keep it safe. We saw many children walking by themself to and from school. It is also VERY common to hitchhike still. He told us that the entire country of Israel is only the size of New Jersey. We took in so information much that day, and we are still researching much of what we saw and did.Our guide was Jewish(not devoutly religious though), and after traveling (and living) all over the world decided that the only place for him was Israel. He LOVED his country, and explained that the attitude of Israelies is arrogance, but arrogance due to necessity. He gave the example that if you tell an Israeli to grab the moon, he will say, "Where would you like me to put it." I loved the gusto he had (and usually, I can't stand arrogance). He did mention though that it will be a problem with the younger generation because they hold the same arrogance (much like American youth).

No comments: