In Germany, most people do not celebrate Halloween. From what I gather, it is strictly an American Holiday. Thank goodness for the base that Bryan works on or our kids would have been candy-less this special day. Our friends invited us over for dinner and trick or treating and we had a great time. It is funny because all of the Germans that know people on the base also go on, (I think they are intrigued with this holiday we celebrate) which was a sight to see with all of the trick or treaters. We had heard it would be packed (and it was) so we started off early and then came back to hand out candy and eat dinner. Many of the adults walking around dressed up, which made it quite entertaining to see. Some of the costumes were quite interesting to say the least! Camden was a shark, Mia was Cookie Monster and Bailey was the Princess from The Pirates of the Carribean. As I write this they are still fast asleep from last night activities - very fun! Our other child (Abbey, our dog) is getting spoiled up in Maine (no - I mean really spoiled). My Mom sent this picture to us of Abbey in her new Halloween Costume. Notice the thick fur for the cold Maine winter :-) I don't think she is missing us at all :-)
The big Holiday here today is All Saints Day. Unlike in the U.S., all of the stores are closed today (Saturday) and people really go all out in remembering those that have passed. My German teacher said that the cemetaries are beautiful on this day (all lit up with luminaries too) and that we should go see them if we get a chance. It is interesting, because I can't imagine that the stores back home would shut down on both Saturday (for the Holiday) and Sunday (because they are always closed on Sunday) for any holiday -not even Christmas. Even though it is inconvenient, it is quite nice that they take time out to remember those who have passed.

1 comment:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BAILEY!!!!
WE LOVE YOU!!!!
Jay, Christi, Calye & Harrison
Post a Comment