Last night, I went on a really cool tour of the tunnels under the city of Bamberg. We had to wear hard hats, carry flashlights, and climbed hundreds of feet down. I was a little nervous when the guide warned that it would be bad to go down if you have claustrophobia. (I don't, but it still made me quite nervous). The tunnels cover over 10 Kilometers under the city. In the year 973 (yes, over 1 thousand years ago), the tunnels began being dug as part of a mining process. Over the years, they have been a burial place for the victims of the bubonic plague, Monks used it as a natural cooler in order to age giant kegs of Beer and wine (the temperature was extremely cold - perfect for refrigeration), and they were used during World War II, as shelter for the residents of the city during air raid warnings and strikes. The History of these tunnels is truly amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
TALK ABOUT A PANIC ATTACK!!!!!!
Love & Miss you all,
ChristiBob
Post a Comment