Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Schloss Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau








In the midst of moving into our house, we decided to take a 4 hour drive to one of the most famous Castles in the world! It is the castle that the Disney castle was modeled after and brought such a relief from the unpacking of boxes. King Ludwig of Bavaria had a fixation for building castles and in the late 1800's spent all of the family fortune on building them. Make a long story short, the state of Bavaria ended up declaring King Ludwig insane and he only spent just under 6 months living in Neuschwanstein. A couple of days after the state declared him insane he entered a mental facility and went for a walk with his Psychiatrist near a lake and never returned. It is a mystery unsolved! We had a great time though and even with all of the walking the kids had a blast. I will post more about our move later (we still have no internet or phone).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, you have COATS on!!!! We can't stop sweating!!!! Looks awesome! Amy

Beth and Ryan said...

Germany looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it...the boys add to their "Germany fund" almost daily...they are serious about going to visit you guys so get ready! I humor myself reading your posts as I sit here and try to say aloud the names of the places you all visit....German class may need to be in my future as I am sure I have not pronounced anything right to date!

Anonymous said...

Great photographs. Your mom was wondering how you got that great panorama of the castle as she does not remember a view offering that angle. We miss your frequent calls and emails. I'm going to call the German embassy here to see if we can't get them to light a fire under your internet installer.

Mom and Dad