Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Still makes me smile...
I should be used to it by now, but it still makes me smile with the responsibility that the German school gives the kids. Even in first grade it is unbelievable how they give them such responsibility and the kids are able to rise to the occasion. Mia told me last night that they were going to the theater today. She told me that they would need an extra snack, a rain jacket just in case, and they did not need to bring any extra money. (None of that information was written down, and we didn't have to sign any permission slips either). On Tuesday, she told me that I needed to send in 11 euro for photocopies, and that her class had a great time at the Senior home, where they went on the bus and sat outside. I've mentioned before that her homework assignments are never written down (she has to memorize what they are each day). With Bailey and Camden it is the same (which of course at their age you would expect more anyway), but I am always surprised of the level of responsibility that they give. Even for Camden in the 5th grade, the kids will get where they need to be by city bus alone. It is quite refreshing! Many of the kids in their school even have to take the train each day to get home. When Bailey was younger, I remember having to sign off on homework assignments. I like the idea that it is not the parents responsibility, but instead the kids responsibility to get done what they need to do - I think it teaches them so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment