Thursday, July 26, 2012
Heartbreaking..
This morning was a beautiful morning. Mia got off to school, and then Bailey and Camden. I am going out of town tomorrow, and had a few errands to run before meeting a friend for lunch. I also had to go check our mail on the base (now that Bryan doesn't work there, I always forget to check the mail :-). The sun was shining, the air was fresh and clean, my windows were down, and I was listening to fun music on the radio and thinking about what I needed to get done today. I turned the corner and drove passed the Chapel on the base. You constantly see camouflage uniforms, but if you see the miltary "formal" blues, you know something is going on. As I passed the chapel, my heart sunk because standing outside were several men in their "formal" uniform. It could only mean one thing - it was a funeral for a soldier. The sad thing is that I hadn't even heard that a Bamberg soldier had died. I am a complete news junkie, and all I have heard about in the news has been the shootings in Colorado. I came home and googled "Bamberg Germany soldier killed" and found that a young soldier from Bamberg had in fact died a few days ago. It wasn't on the headlines of any papers that I read online. I am not a huge fan of this war, and I often complain about the soldiers here (cursing, being obnoxious etc.), but to me this was so unbelievably sad. The saddest part to me was that life just keeps going on - even though it is a very small base, I'm sure 95% of the people didn't even know there was a funeral today or that another soldier was killed. I may be wrong, but regardless, it is truly heartbreaking to see!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment