Thursday, January 19, 2012
Proud Momma
After going away this weekend and missing my kids a bunch, I was thinking about how proud I am of them. All 3 are attending German School this year, and where it is not as if we are living in a 3rd world country, they do have to be able to function in a school where they do not understand everything - and their Mom can't "help" them either. I can't help them very much with homework, I can't help with memorization or presentations, I can't help very much with studying - they have really had to step up to the plate. This week, Camden had to sing a solo to part of a German song in Music Class, he also had to memorize certain bones for biology in German, Mia had to memorize a German poem, Bailey had to memorize chunks of English History, and work German Word Problems in Algebra. It is all so new to us, which makes it quite fun, but also daunting. I truly am so proud of them. They take city buses to certain events, they must communicate with teachers or ask friends for help, they must coordinate their own school schedule. They also have had to learn how it feels to fail (ie. not being prepared, not understanding exact guidelines, forgetting to charge your phone and dealing with the consequences etc.) One day Camden forgot that he had swimming in Sport Class, and forgot his swim suit - lesson learned though - now he brings his swimsuit each day that he has sport - "just in case.". Of course the expectation is not the same as it would be if they went to an American school, but they still feel pressure to do their best. Their resilience is astonishing, and I truly couldn't be more proud of all 3 of them! *One last thing...I have been able to speak with a few of their teachers this year, and the one thing they all said to me was that I have extremely "nice" children. They may not become rocket scientists, but being nice is definitely a great quality to have! A very proud Momma!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I second that "nice" comment! Miss you and your nice kids! Hugs!!!!
Post a Comment