Sunday, January 22, 2012

A little deep - but a great point!

I always contemplate why we love it here so much. Of course it is a different culture, of course it is the best town in the world (again, I am a little biased), again it is safe, beautiful, fun, exciting, and new, but to go a little deeper.... I was talking to my friend about the other specifics of the things that we enjoy, and here are a few: We rent a house, which means when i look at a scratch on a wall or a roof that needs repair, I don't bat an eye - we will not be here forever. When I say something dumb (because of a language barrier or not :-)) , I don't worry so much, because we will not be here forever. When I travel extensively, I don't feel bad, because I know we won't have this opportunity forever. When I get to spend oodles of time with my family with not many outside distractions, I don't bat an eye, because I know the kids will grow up, and this time will not last forever. We are quite anonymous here, so when we; fail, don't participate, dress less than stylish, mess up... I don't bat an eye, because nobody even notices and we won't be here forever. My list could go on and on, but you probably get the point. So in response to all of my "I know it will not last forever" remarks, my German friend said to me, "Isn't it a shame that we (as society) don't feel like you do living here for a short time. Basically, what she was saying is that we live on earth for such a short time, and all of the little things that bother people or disrupt life just get in the way of living life to the fullest. (ie. for us, it is living our short time in Germany to the fullest, knowing it won't last forever, but why isn't life like that always, knowing we will not be here forever? I know it is quite deep, but it really did make me stop and think, and I thought it was a brilliant eye opener!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My comments did not "launch" for whatever reason..... I just want to say that your "venting" is totally appropriate. You have spent probably the most memorable years that one could possibly have, and you don't want to give up the day-to-day pleasures. It brings me much joy to read your blogs. I only wish life could be that relaxing and meaningful here in the states. It seems to me that everyone or I should say almost everyone is more interested in what they can buy or engage in activities that they can't remember the next day. Hear or read about them almost everyday. You and your friend are so right when your share your feelings on how brief life is here on earth. I am grateful that I know I have an eternal home that will be filled with joys unmeasurable. I have such mixed feelings about retiring. I know it is time; however, I pray that I can find a few things that will be as fulfilling as teaching has been. It has only been in the last 3-4 years that our educational system has become what I consider "socialized" so it does make retiring easier. We are told what to teach, how to teach and the hour to teach the curriculum. Certainly don't mind a curriculum; however, I want to teach how I know children learn best...... The system wants every classroom doing the same thing. Totally against everything in my being. Keep enjoying every moment. I am so happy that Jay and family are going to be able to visit with you all. Take good care and love to everyone. gp