Friday, January 20, 2012

The German Handshake

As I was running today, I was thinking about how cute the "German Handshake" is. I don't remember this being a commonality in the U.S., with the exception of a job interview or professional meeting. It is really cute though how all age groups greet and leave people with a handshake. I first saw it in Mia's Kindergarten each day, but now I see it all of the time with Bailey and Camden's friends as well. When they meet me for the first time, there is always a hand extended, out of politeness and respect. It is not an awkward handshake, but a look in the eye as well. Very respectful and mature! Mia has grown up with this, so she thinks nothing of it, but for me I still see enjoy the newness of it. We also greet our German friends with handshakes. Another little tidbit to add to this, is the German "Probst" or as we say in English "Cheers." It is almost essential that you toast one another if you are with company enjoying a meal. The other aspect to the toast is that you MUST look the person you are toasting in eye. Just little social tidbits that I find interesting....

No comments: