I have finally found something that I truly dislike about Germany :-) SCHOOL SUPPLY SHOPPING!!!! I have never in my life seen anything like it.... There are rows and rows and rows and rows of aisles chuck full of school supplies - VERY PARTICULAR school supplies I might add. The rows of pads of papers are unbelievable (possibly 100 varieties of different widths, sizes, edging, covers etc. and every teacher has extemely particular needs. One may need; the lines a certain width, with a double margin, in a book with 16 pages, and a red cover protector, where as another might need only; one margin, a different width, a different amount of pages, and a different cover color. Each teacher requires several different types of notebooks, and since most notebooks only have a few pages in them, I am a little nervous about the need to restock school supplies in a few weeks. I have literally been to the city center EVERY morning and then again every afternoon since school started, buying more supplies. Bailey and Camden both need calligraphy-type pens (with ink cartridges I might add). Camden had a list of a variety of numbered pencils to buy (I thought #2 pencils were the only variety, but boy was I wrong), they need particular number paint brushes (I never even knew these existed), with particular points on the paint brush. I have probably spent close to 500 euro between all 3 of them (not on clothes and fun stuff but only on school supplies). It is DEFINITELY an eye opener. It is funny, because the Germans grew up with this so they know nothing different, as a result it is hard to vent to other parents :-). I guess too, if you only had one child, it would not be as big of a deal and if I were fluent, it wouldn't be so bad either. The other thing is that they have no lockers, so the kids have to bring what they need each day in their back packs, and then carry it all day. Camden's bag weighed in this morning at 20 pounds - my poor little guy only ways about 68 pounds - and he has to ride his bike to school with the bag on his back. It is funny because FINALLY I have something to complain about with regard to Germany :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Seems like a lot of supplies to take to school daily. They have no desks to leave main supplies in and also have some supplies to use for homework kept at home? Well, one good thing is the children will be in good shape carring weight and riding bicycles to school.
Post a Comment