Friday, August 5, 2011

The "American BBQ"

You know how Americans enjoy Chinese Food, Italian Food, Mexican Food, German Food, French Food, Thai Food etc? Well, in addition to the same list, many Germans love an "American Barbecue." For the final Party in Mia's Kindergarten, we had an "American BBQ" with all of the fixings (hamburgurgers, hotdogs, wings, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, potato chips, watermelon, oreos, and popsicles). It is a treat for Germans, because they can't usually buy/find that stuff here.
It was quite comical for Bryan and I to see the divide among interest within the group of attendees. Some loved the food, and others not so much. Some had a sweet tooth, and others couldn't quite bring themselves to eating all of the sugary treats. One thing that we have noticed over the years of living here is that most Germans do not like things with too much sugar (even most of the kids don't care for it). Our Brownies, cake, icing, desserts etc. are much too sweet for them. On the other hand, Bryan and I joke that the Germans will have these unbelievably beautiful (and scrumptious looking) cakes, that taste a little like cardboard - we are adjusting though, and quite enjoy the cardboard tasting cakes now :-). At the BBQ, there was one little boy (about 2 years old) who kept coming up to me asking for more oreos, starburt, popsicles etc. - after the evening I was his new best friend.
The kids played ALL night and had an absolute blast. For me, the party was fun, interesting, and a lot of work. Afterwards I was quite tired, but as I was tucking Mia into bed late at night (we didn't get home until 10:30pm), she whispered to me, "Mama - what was your Favorite part of the party". I told her mine, and then I asked her what her favorite part was, and she said, "Mommmy - I loved every single thing". All of a sudden, I wasn't quite so tired anymore, and I felt a perfect happiness for Mia's perfect evening!

No comments: