Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Misc. Notes for us to remember one day....

  • Mia is what they call a Vorschule Kinder (a kindergartner who will be attending the 1st class next year). It is cute because it is really an honor in the kindergarten to be part of the Vorschule group - they definitely get fun privileges (and are looked up to by the younger kids). Anyway, today Mia and the rest of the Vorschule group kids (whom there are a total of only six) began a special morning program that they will do each day until Summer. She was very excited for it to begin. When I picked her up I asked her how it went, and what she did - She proceeded to tell me that "we learned to raise our hand, and to close our eyes and listen (not speak, just listen)". It is so cute because our system is so different - It is so fun for us to experience the German way through Mia. It is kind of neat too because in many of my education classes that I took, they brought up the idea that we practice reading and speaking in school, but we never practice/learn how to listen. I thought it was brilliant!
  • On a side note, we have noticed that Mia has regressed a little bit with regard to how she acts. Sometimes she acts more like she is 3 rather than 5. We have been a little worried about it. I was talking to a friend the other day though, and she made an interesting point... When Mia was 3, she was learning a 3rd language, and it may have taken all of her abilities to grasp that new language. Now that she has fully grasped it, she is doing what she would have been doing when she was 3. I may be crazy, but it makes sense to me! She is doing much better recently though.
  • Basketball is in full swing for Bailey, and she has been enjoying it so much ! We have been homeschooling this year, and have not been on the base nearly as much, so it has been really fun for her to have American teammates! I get so involved in the games - they are low scoring, but real nail biters. Until last week, her team was undefeated. It has been great for her, and so much fun for us!
  • Camden is back indoors now with Soccer. I actually love to watch indoor soccer (much more than outdoors). It is exciting and fast paced. I love his little team. They have been together now for almost 2 years, and he feels such camaraderie with "the guys."
  • Homeschooling is going well. Some days I feel like it is the best decision ever, and then some days I feel like I am crazy. I guess it is like any job though, you have good days and bad. I remember student teaching was the same way...as soon as you felt like you had everything down pat, something would change or you would have a bad day. I guess that is life!
  • Mia will begin a special class this week for children who speak German as a 2nd language. The program is in place in order to prepare students for the 1st year of school whose parents speak another language at home. I am really excited to find out more about it... She is really excited too.
  • We are heading back to the states for a visit this summer. It is really odd in many ways, because the kids and I have not been back since we first set foot in Germany almost 3 years ago. I want to cherish every minute! We are in the beginning stages of planning... Very exciting!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems as though the "busy" season is up and running for you guys. I totally agree that we sometimes focus on skills, etc.... and forget the steps/stages of development. When I see a kindergarten enjoying crawling I tend to think that perhaps he/she began walking in lieu of crawling.... All our efforts are well intended..... But just because Jonnie did something at a certain age does not mean Joie will or should do the same..... Glad you all are continuing to have fun!!!!! It is a gorgeous day but more rain is in the forecast. Can't wait to see you all. Take care and lots of love. gp