Monday, July 12, 2010

Misc.


I wanted to write down a few things that struck me as funny lately:
*Bailey actually discovered this first one: We were biking the other night, and she saw the above billboard ads: See if you can see the craziness about it (I will put the answer at the end of this post)
*Mia came home today, and declared that she could spell the word "Grandmother" - I was very impressed, and asked her to spell it for me, and she says, "O-M-A" (Oma is grandmother in German)-too funny, and a lot easier than "Grandmother"!
*We went to see the Movie, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid." For those of you who have not seen this move, I know you are thinking - "What kind of movie is that?" and you will not understand this. For those of you that have seen it, you will appreciate this: We now have a slice of cheese that bubbles in the heat up on our balcony, and periodically throughout the day, my kids will tag each other, yelling "cheese touch" (even Mia gets into it). The movie, believe it or not, has a very good lesson within it!
*Camden's soccer coach told us that "instead of practice on Wednesday, the kids will swim at the local pool, but if it is bad weather, we will have practice instead." Only over here, would the kids practice in rain, snow, sleet, hail, and 90 degree temperatures (sometimes even in lightening, if it is far away). Bryan and I thought the way it came across was so funny.
*My kids LOVE watching old TV shows, and Movies. The other day, they watched "GhostBusters." When the song comes on that sings, "Who ya gonna call - GHOSTBUSTERS", Instead mia says, "When there is something bad, in the neighborhood, who ya gonna call - 112"!Mia has been taught at school to call 112 in case of an emergency (the equivilent of our 911 :-)
*Each year, the kids and I have a "Summer Song" that we declare for the summer. Basically it is a song that is on the radio all the time, and we all really like (when it comes on, we turn the radio up loud and sing). We don't declare the "Summer song" until the middle or the end of the summer (after we have found the perfect one that we all love to sing). This years' song came early thanks to the World Cup - it is "Wavin Flag", by K'naan. I'm not sure if it was even played on the radio back home, but whenever we hear it - it brightens our day!
*Speaking of World Cup, the Germans came in 3rd. Up until this last game against Uraguay (in which they were competeing for 3rd place), the blow horns, and horn honks could be heard all over the city. The viewing parties were planned and all was good. For the 3rd place game though, there were no horn honks, blow horns etc. I guess no one was too excited for 3rd place - everyone wanted the win. Bryan and I also thought that was funny. As a side note - Congratulations to Spain!
*Finally, the thing that struck Bailey (and I) so funny about the Billboards, was the Oxymoron of advertising for cigarettes, next to a no smoking sign!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had to magnify the ads before I caught on. That is funny! Love the summer song idea. I have not heard any songs from the World Cup events. In fact, it is not so big over here or at least in Georgia. ha.... Football.... Football...Football.... I think soccer is actually more skilled than football. They just don't score often enough to hold my attention. ha. Keep enjoying your summer days. Our vacation will be over tooooooo soon. Love, gp