Wednesday, July 21, 2010
2 years down....
July 25th will mark our 2nd anniversary of living in Germany. It is so wierd to think about.... I have always been one for adventure, and even though I knew that this was a seemingly secure move -I really had no idea what was in store for us. In so many ways we really lucked out with Bryan finding a job in what I now believe to be one of the best small cities on earth. My friend and I always talk about moving to an "island" where surroundings are more controllable, and life is different, and I definitely feel that I live on that island for now. Part of that is because of the lanuage barrier, and we are not privy to all of the politics and frustrations that come with it. All of our eyes have been opened to a greater way of thinking (ie. just because "it is how we have always done it", doesn't make it the only way). I remember being greeted by Bryan at the airport after an international flight by myself with 3 kids, and the extreme excitement of the unknown as he drove us to our new city that we would call home for a portion of our lives. Bailey is quickly approaching teenage status (a.k.a the one that keeps us in check), Camden has connected with a new culture (football, a.k.a soccer), and Mia has become our Chinese/ American/German (a.k.a our translator). You never know where life might take you, and for now I am so glad to have had this opportunity. I remember when we first rented out our house in Georgia to people who had just moved from Germany after living there for 3 years - Our other friend tried to explain to us what a big deal it was for them to be coming back after 3 years away. I didn't really understand what she was talking about, but I think I am starting to now. We have gotten used to bicycles everywhere, silence everywhere (people are not loud here at all), no right turns on red, beer is a way of life, no speed limits on the autobahn, church bells all day long, bagging our own groceries, no cell phones while driving etc. Life really is quite different! It is a good life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Allison, I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading your blogs on the weekends. They are so interesting. I wish ASU's education department would sponsor summer activites for neighborhoods or just do it at the new library facility. It would be well attended and give the college students an opportunity to work with children. All your pictures reflect special memories for you and your family. Saw Bailey's post that you all will be there another two years. As much as you are missed I am so happy for you all. Thanks again for your dedication on keeping us up-dated on life in Germany. Love to all. gp
Post a Comment