Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mia's Kindergarten











I am absolutely in love with Mia's kindergarten. I have never seen a school quite so cozy and inviting. Throughout the advent season, when I drop her off in the morning, the candles are lit, the lights are dim, the natural decorations are out (pine, pine cones, wooden nativity scene etc). I keep thinking how nice it would be to be welcomed to this each morning as a child. The kids wear slippers each day (throughout the year) so as to feel like home and also for cleanliness sake. There are no plastic toys - all are wooden and natural. It just gives such an inviting feel. Yesterday, when I picked Mia up, she was proud to announce that she was selected to open the last of the Advent Calendar days. She received a small wooden book about the Christmas story. It is adorable to hear her talk about the book, because in Germany "J"s are pronounced with "Y"s, so it is all about "Yoseph", "Maria", baby "Yesus", and the "Easel" (Donkey). As we were leaving she told me that her gruppe (class) went for a walk today in the city to the church to see the large Handmade Nativity scene that is set up. I just love that they are able to do things like that without signing your life away. I have found it such a blessing to have her in such a wonderful environment - Sometimes you wish you could be a kid again, and experience it for yourself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you think they would hire a very old kindergarten teacher at that school? Sounds exactly what I could do years ago before Obama's drive for academics in our school. He wants us to compete with other countries. That is the truth. I do not put the children down for naps any longer in order for them to have creative play time.
I still work in Customs Around the World and sing a blessing before lunch each day. The children brought in several Christmas story books that I read and introduced some to the names of Mary, Joseph, etc..... Many did not know their names and noone understood the manger, stable and shepherds' crooks. We sang "Away in the Manger" at our program. No negative comments that I know of.
When that is taken away I will retire and begin a GP's school here at home. I have several teachers that said that they would love to join me. I am so happy that Mia is experiencing an appropriate and meaningful education. She is truly blessed.
Please know that you are thought of often and missed. Calye, Jack and Harrison came over Tuesday and did our peanut butter balls. Harrison is a perfectionist..... His looks like they came from a factory..... The rest..... well....... They look like regular balls.ha.....
Have a Blessed day and fill it with special memories. Love, gp