Friday, November 13, 2009

National Adoption Month



November is National Adoption Month, and it reminds me of how unbelievably blessed we are to have Mia in our family. It has been interesting living over here and bringing awareness to Adoption (not that I am constantly advocating, but a caucasion family with an Asian daughter tends to spark questions). It is VERY rare that you hear of or see anyone that is familiar with adoption. Cultually, it is extremely uncommon. Mia is not only the only English Speaking child in her Kindergarten, but she is also the only Asian child.
In the books that I have read, I have learned that it is important to give the basic facts about adoption to your child, and then wait for their prompts of questioning in order to be more specific. Well, Mia has started to ask more specific questions. She has always known that she is "from China," and we have read many childrens books geared towards explaining her journey to us. Now she is beginning to truly think about the details a bit more.
Mia has brought us so much happiness, and I am so thankful that we were brought together (as we all are). As it is National Adoption Month, I tend to reflect a little bit more, and smile knowing how much adoption means to us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing Bryan and Bailey a belated Birthday greeting. I am so sorry that I did not know.

What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday. The "Forest" is remarkable and connects the family. I miss the weekends our family had in the Ocala, Florida National Forest years ago. Too bad that more families cannot experience what you all are able to do together.

Eventhough life takes its twists and turns and does not always end as you want it to...... I have special memories of days when we were secluded from the busy world around us and enjoyed just the family in a humble trailer in the woods. I hope Jay and Lew will not forget the fun times we had there when they were young.

I enjoy your blogs so much and know you are making the most of each day. Take care.........Love, gp

Beth and Ryan said...

Allison,
Love that you are sharing adoption world over there. It is a blessing for all involved! One of MK's favorite books to read is I Love You Like Crazy Cakes...we read it several times a week. If you have any other suggestions, send them our way :) MK will tell us her version of her life in China...she says she "cried, cried" until we came on the airplane to get her. So cute, yet so sad. Happy holiday season to you all!

ChristiBob said...

WOW ~ this brings back some GREAT memories !! The LONG journey to Mia - boy, was it worth it !!!! She is just so precious and the perfect addition to the family. I cannot imagine your life w/out her in it - there is no doubt, you were destined to be together:)