One of my favorite Holiday Traditions is one that we started back in 2001 (I was actually shocked to find out that we had been doing this for so long) It truly makes me so happy each year when we pull it out! The tradition is a table runner that I bought on clearance at Target - I think it was about $3.00. The great part about it, is not the actual table cloth (in fact it is quite boring, and I'm not really big into tablecloths). The wonderful tradition is that each Thanksgiving, whoever is with us, signs the table cloth by writing what they are thankful for. It brings happiness to me just thinking about it. For many years we spent Thanksgiving with Bryan's Grandparents and of course I insisted that they sign my tablecloth - they have both passed away now, but reading their words brings us incredible joy each Thanksgiving in remembrance of those special times. In 2005, I wrote that "I am so thankful for Mia who is waiting for us in China"- again what a happy memory (especially now that she is forever ours). The kids love it too - and each year the things that they are thankful for are proudly written to be seen the next year!
Our next tradition is decorating for Christmas, the day after Thanksgiving. (Yes I can hardly stand it, and we have to decorate right away! :-)) It is so fun to bring out the decorations and hear the kids squelching with happiness words such as, "I remember this" or "I know where this goes" etc.. Last year we added to our tradition the "elf on the shelf" and "Russ" (our elf) had mysteriously already moved today! Very exciting!!! The coziness of these Holidays is so much fun! Bryan's family is coming and we are very excited to be sharing the magic of the Holidays! We certainly have so much to be thankful for! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:
Hope you guys have a GREAT Christmas...We have an elf on the shelf as well, and decorations the day after Thanksgiving..I love traditions!! Give everyone a hug and kiss from us. The Philby's
What a special blog! I am so glad to know that you value family traditions. I especially like the runner keepsake. I know you all had a spcial time together.
My Thanksgiving was good. I had a couple that always is alone and a friend that could not have her family in until today, Saturday..... We had lots of fun playing "oldies" on the computer and moving as best as we could. Three of us are in our seventies. ha.....
I had a very untraditional meal with my family last night. It was untraditional from food, serving; etc......, but I am trying to learn to go with the flow. I always enjoy having my family here with me no matter what.
Continue to enjoy the few weeks left before Christmas. I am not quite ready to return to school. We had a week off for Thanskgiving with two days furlough thanks to the economy, but the extra days were nice. I spent them at the medical offices. I am much better now that it is time to return to work. ha. Take care and know WE ALL miss YOU ALL. Love and Prayers, gp
Post a Comment