Sunday, March 15, 2009

Poland






















This weekend was a busy one... As I headed Northeast to Poland, Bryan and the kids headed South to HerrenChiemsee. Bailey will post later on their trip (which they really enjoyed). As almost all expats living in Germany (expat is the term they use for people like us living over here), Polish Pottery Shopping is something you have to do atleast once. Boleslawiec, Poland is the famed town that houses all of this pottery. If you ask the local Germans if they have been Polish Pottery Shopping, they will look at you like you are crazy - so this is just a popular thing for expats :-) Some friends and I made the trek, and with the exception of getting up at 4:15 AM, it was a great time. As we experienced when we went to Czech, as soon as you cross the border you notice the difference right away. My friend explained it as 3rd world Europe - kind of depressing. The pottery shopping was fun nonetheless, and my only regret was that I didn't buy more! Poland still has their own currency, so with the exchange rate they had pretty good deals - I'll just have to go back :-) As we are sitting in an authentic Polish restaurant, I was thinking about how unbelievably amazing it is that I am sitting in a restaurant in Poland - it is just kind of wierd when you stop and think about it. For lunch I ordered the salad bar expecting that to be a safe bet (especially when we saw that they had "cow tongue" on the menu). Well, the salad bar was not quite what I was expecting - no leafy greens with balsamic vinigrette - instead it was all mixed things like sauer krout, cole slaw and who knows what else. Needless to say, I stuck with my Potato wedges and the most activity my Salad received was that of a photograph :-) We met other groups of girls traveling that had come as far as Southern England (an 18 hour drive), now that is a seriously devoted shopper (a little crazy I might add :-) All in all it was a really fun time and as keeping with our family tradition of buying Magnets wherever we go - I now have a little pottery magnet from Poland (along with some bowls, dishes etc.... :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to think you had given up on blogging. I have checked every morning for some interesting info from you. ha. How far is Poland from where you live? I understand that education is quite different there. Their philosophy is to read, read, read and then read to children some more. I believe in that as well. We are so test driven and assessing that I only read three or four books a day. That is not enough in my opinion.
I was not aware that Poland was famous for its pottery. How much would $30 buy including the shipping? Let me know because I would like a small pitcher and will send you the money.
Hope the kids had a good trip. Tell Bailey that I am looking forward to her blog. Not too much going on around here.
We celebrated Skyler's 4th birthday two weeks ago. It was awkward but I managed. Just wish things were different. Never dreamed that my tiny family would be so disconnected. It makes me so sad. I keep praying that something will change before I die.
We do not have many days left before spring break. I am very ready for a few days to get some things done at home, relax some and get back in the swimming mode.
Take care and give my hugs to everyone. Love, gp

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of the pottery shopping - it looks so beautiful!! I know it must have been nice to have a "Mom break" - I've about forgotten what that feels like - not that I've had too many:) I look forward to seeing your treasures.

I'm now the Mom of an Official Driving Teenager - yes, I've had a xanax today. She passed with flying colors and as soon as we got home from the DMV she wanted to head out somewhere - oh, boy, do I feel old!!!!! It was definately a milestone I didn't expect to feel this way about - I'm glad she's showing some independence, but I must say it just adds more worry to everyday life... I guess I'll adjust, though.

I so enjoyed talking w/ you yesterday - and to hear my little Mia's voice. I miss you all so much -
LOVE AND HUGS TO EVERYONE -
ChristiBob

**P.S.
Make sure you behave this coming up weekend BryanBob - it's too far for JayBob to come to bail you out....