Camden plays on a year round German Soccer team. To sign him up for this, all we had to do was fill out a half a page form, and pay the 6 euro - for the YEAR (the equivilent of $9) which covers the Insurance Registration that is sent to Berlin. With this, he receives year round training and games (they play outdoors and even indoors in the winter), it includes uniforms and all tournaments. An unbelievable opportunity at an incredible price (on a side note, we have really enjoyed the opportunities that the soccer club provides - it has been a GREAT experience!) The price is so reasonable because no one is making money off of registration. The fields and Gym are free, the coaches volunteer, a few annual festivals at the soccer club and concessions pay for the uniforms and tournament fees. It is not a moneymaker, instead it is an opportunity for kids to play soccer!
Last week, I went to register Bailey for the American Soccer Team - Here is where my venting comes into place :-) To play soccer for 3 months, we have oodles of paperwork to fill out, I have to make a sports physical appointment, get Bailey out of school to go to the appoinment, get her shots all updated (which thankfully they already were, but still had to go to the immunization office to get signed off). Had to go back to the registration office, fill out More paperwork and give them copies of all of the medical Data. Pay the $72 fee. If Bryan or I wanted to coach, it would entail an extra training class one weekend. All for 3 months of Soccer! CRAZY!!!
Sometimes I wonder why our society has to be sooo cautionary with every little thing. Whatever happened to the idea that if you sign your child up for sports, you assume that there may be some risk of injury, but you would take on that resposnibility if something happened.
As we live over here, I think that is the Biggest difference that we see on a daily basis. Some of the things that are every day occurances here, would NEVER fly in the states because of liability. If you sent your 9 year old on the City bus by themselves, back home you would be arrested. The German Kindergarten kids go outside to play all year long (even in the snow), but the older American Elementary school kids, can't go outside to play because someone might get sick or it is too cold (Growing up in Maine, my vote is to dress a little warmer, and then send them outside - Mia's Kindergarten class always survives going outside in the winter :-)).
I had to vent a little - I feel like we miss out on so much because of fear of liability, and also costliness. It is ever so apparent when I have situations like the soccer sign up, and it SOOO Frustrating!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Be grateful for the $72 charge. My friend's son is on the school baseball team. She spent at least $300 for the season. She spends close to a $1,000 for her daughter to be a Lakeside cheerleader. So ridiculous!!!!!!!! She has two teaching jobs to cover the expenses for her children to be involved in school sports...... It is sinful..... I agree totally that there is something wrong with our system here..... I wish it were only the $$$$ issue..... It is the academics as well...... Take care and enjoy the sensible life in Bamberg. Love to all, GP
Post a Comment