- obviously they speak German, not English (although they do take English in the older classes) - Bailey took English :-)
- instead of raising their hand, they raise a finger
- they do not line up to walk around the school, they just go
- Camden's class only had 14 kids, while Bailey's had around 20
- all kids either walk, ride bikes, or take the city bus to school (they are responsible for getting themselves to school - even in 1st grade) - another interesting thing was that it was a hot day, and the students worked hard, so they were allowed to leave 45 minutes early that day (the liability for this would never fly back home - I think the administration would be fired :-))
- They eat snack during break/recess (they do not eat lunch at school)
- They get out of school between 11:30 and 1:00 (Camden was SHOCKED at how fast the day went)
- The children were very well behaved in the classroom
- They had a computer lab, but no computers in the classroom (no smart boards either)
- Camden observed that their was a sculpture of Jesus in the classroom (they do not have that huge separation of church and state)
- It seemed more old fashioned (huge classrooms, wood floors, highceilings, wooden desks - no metal or plastic) - in a good way though
- Everyone shakes hands out of respect. Mia even does it in the Kindergarten - when she arrives, and when she leaves, she goes to her teachers and shakes hands to say either "good morning" or "good bye" (It primes them for real life - I like that alot!)
The funniest/starteling/ most eye opening part for me came around 11:30 when my door bell rang, and it was Camden standing there in front of me. I had told the kids that I would meet both of them in the front of the school at 1:00 (when I thought that they got out). Camden's class dismissed at 11:30, and he waited outside like he was supposed to. (He does not have a cell phone, but may be getting one now :-) After a while, he figured that Bailey was not getting out at the same time as he was, and so he walked home. I asked him what he would have done if I wasn't home, and he had an entire plan that I would have definitely approved of. I was very proud of him, and it made me realize that sometimes I don't give him enough credit! Bailey used her cell phone to call me to let me know that she would be getting out early, and when I told her that Camden was home already, she worried that he had gotten in trouble in school :-) A great Opportunity!!!

3 comments:
So interesting. So are they going to German school? It sounds like a great environment for learning. Did I mention to you before that Mia's school sounds like a Montessori type school? Maria Montessori had some wonderful ideas regarding how children learn. I would love for Gianna to attend a Montessori school one day.
Informative blog..... A good model for any educational system. Gina is correct about Maria Montessori's philosophy of education; however, most Montessori schools in the USA are not the true Montessori school of thought. At least the ones that I visited when getting my certifications were not. Hope you all are enjoying our July 4..... We may complain, but there is no land better than the good old USA. Enjoy the gardening. Loved your idea. You are a very creative soul. Love to all. gp
GO CAMDEN !!!! HARRISON WILL BE IMPRESSED ... Sounds like a lot was learned in ONE day :)
Post a Comment