Monday, February 8, 2010

Language

I never thought about Language before we moved here. It is truly fascinating. Languages can be so different and without the understanding of a language, communication can come virtually to a halt. When we were in Turkey, Greece, and Egypt - there was no hope - not even close (China too)! As much as we think that everyone in the world speaks and understands English - it is FAR from true! I am definitely one for "small talk" - I like meeting the person in the checkout line, chatting with other Moms, talking to someone on an airplane. When you can't communicate - all of that is gone! I am at the point with my German, that I can definitely get by. I can communicate what I need to get across, but that is about it. It can be so frustrating trying to strike up a conversation when you don't understand. Often, I don't even understand Mia - which is a little scary! I even have to ask her to translate. My friend and I have started taking German lessons again, and today I had a HUGE break through! For some reason so much just clicked and I am so excited. I learned to communicate in the past tense, and most importantly I will now be able to listen to other people and have a much better shot at comprehending what they are saying. If you drive 4 hours in almost any direction here, you may have a totally different language to comprehend (French, Czech, Polish, Italian etc.), and the thought is almost overwhelming - For now I will concentrate on German! I have such a new appreciation for people who are bilingual - it is definitely not an easy thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are going to return to Evans, please let Mia learn another language in addition to German. She can master it far easier than any of you.....

I took Spanish in high school and one year in college. But asking me to interpret anything now would be dangerous. I, too, admire anyone that can speak another language. Keep up the effort. Love, gp